The use of olive oil for hair is a tradition of thousands of years, and given its effectiveness, it would be wise to add it to the beauty regime.
Olive oil is probably the most famous type of oil in the world, very popular for both cosmetic and culinary applications, as it has been for millennia. Made directly from olives, there are different categories of olive oil, based on how they are processed. Extra virgin olive oil, for example, is processed only by mechanical means, without the use of chemical extraction or distillation processes. Refined olive oil, on the other hand, may have a higher smoke point and may be less expensive, but it also has fewer beneficial nutrients and antioxidants. The use of olive oil for hair can offer a variety of benefits, due to the content of vitamins, as well as various antioxidants and active components.
How to use olive oil for hair
The most popular uses of olive oil are the application in the form of a hair mask, conditioner, or as an anti-inflammatory scrub.
- Separate an egg white and beat carefully.
- Mix half a cup of olive oil and a teaspoon of honey.
- Mix well and then rub on the hair, from follicles to tips.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes, then wash with warm water. Dry your hair, if possible.
- Add 1/4 cup mayonnaise to a small bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil and mix well.
- Wash your hair well, then apply the mixture.
- Using a toothed comb, comb the conditioner.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Heat a towel in the dryer for 2 minutes, then wrap it around your hair.
- Stay like this for 30 minutes, then gently wash the conditioner with warm water.
- Mix 1 avocado, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey in a bowl.
- Apply this paste on the scalp at the roots.
- Let this mixture stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash gently with warm water and allow hair to air dry.
Five benefits of olive oil for hair
The top benefits of olive oil for hair include its ability to prevent dandruff, remove split ends, improve shine and stimulate hair growth, among other things.
1. Hair growth
The stimulating nature of the antioxidants in olive oil can help eliminate chronic inflammation in the follicles and help hair growth.
The anti-inflammatory nature of olive oil makes it an excellent dandruff solution, especially when it is accompanied by a carrier substance or oil.
This can prevent dandruff flakes and soothe your irritated scalp.
3. Split tips
Olive oil can quickly soften the tips, which can be a result of damaged or weak hair.
Regularly added olive oil to the tips can improve the overall appearance of your hair.
4. Strengthens the hair
If you regularly find that your hair is falling out, start using a hair mask with olive oil. It can strengthen your hair and improve the health of your follicles to reduce hair loss.
5. Texture and gloss
Oily hair is not a good thing, but the use of olive oil on the hair can increase the content of vitamin E that the hair receives. This can improve the look and shine, while adding volume and making it more fluid than ever.
How to choose the best olive oil for hair growth
Because some varieties are chemically modified, they may not be ideal for hair, especially if it is damaged or delicate. Therefore, the best option is extra virgin oil, as it is completely pure and has not undergone any chemical processing of any kind.